In order to sponsor, an online interest to sponsor form must be submitted. If you are invited to apply to sponsor your parents and/or grandparents, there are two applications that must be submitted together at the same time:
- Apply to become a sponsor
- Your parents and/or grandparents must apply for permanent residence
Both applications must be received to the IRCC 60 days from the date you receive your invitation to apply. The deadline will be indicated on your invitation to apply.
Six Steps to Sponsor your Parents and Grandparents
- Submit the Interest to Sponsor form, which is available beginning of the year for a limited period of time.
- Receive your invitation to submit your application.
- Get the application package – it is recommended to prepare your application upon receiving the invitation to apply in order to avoid using outdated forms. The application package includes the following:
- Document checklist for the sponsor and the sponsored person(s)
- Forms the sponsor and sponsored person(s) are required to complete
- Instruction guide in order to correctly fill out the forms
Ensure you have carefully read and understood the guide as your sponsorship application fee is not refundable. Make sure you are eligible to sponsor prior to applying, you have listed all your family members, that all the information presented on your application is true, and that your application is complete.
If you decide to assist your parents and grandparents with their application and prefer to communicate with the IRCC on their behalf, you will essentially be acting as their representative. In this case, you will need to complete, sign, and save the form “Use of a Representative”. The sponsored persons will also need to sign this form and must be included with your application.
- Pay the application fees, which include:
- Processing fees for the sponsor and persons to be sponsored
- Right of Permanent Residence Fee
- Biometric fee
- Medical exam and police certificate (paid to the third party depending on your situation. Refer to the instruction guide to understand which fees apply to you.
- Submit your application within 60 days. Deadline will be indicated on your invitation. Mailing instructions will be indicated in the application guide.
Application will be returned if:
- It is incomplete
- Fees have not been paid
- You were not invited to submit an application
- You missed the deadline period to submit your application
- Additional information will be required during processing, at which time the IRCC will ask the persons being sponsored to submit their:
- Biometrics – a letter will be given to your family members to provide their biometrics. This letter must be presented when they give it. They will have 30 days to give their biometrics at their closest collection point
- Medical exams
- Police certificates – required for each member who is 18 years or older (excluding Canadian citizens or permanent residents). Validity of these certificates is one year.
If the following circumstances change, you must notify IRCC:
- Birth or adopted of a child/children
- Marriage or divorce
- Death of applicant or dependent