This Express Entry program is for individuals who wish to become permanent residents through their experience and qualification in a skilled trade. They must intend to reside outside of the province of Quebec.
As with the other two programs, Federal Skilled Worker and Canadian Experience Class, applicants must first make an Expression of Interest in immigrating to Canada through the online Express Entry selection system. Then you must create an Express Entry profile where you will receive your CRS score which determines your ranking in the pool. While education is not a requirement under this class, applicants can increase their score by showing either that they went to school in Canada and obtained their degree, diploma, certificate or get their foreign credential assessed through an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment) showing your degree is equivalent to a Canadian’s.
- Have two years of full-time or equivalent in part-time work experience in a skilled trade within five years before applying. This work experience does not need to be continuous and must be acquired after obtaining the correspondent qualifications to perform the job
- Meet the required language proficiency levels in English or French – CLB 5 in speaking and listening, CLB 4 in reading and writing
- Have a valid job offer of continuous full-time employment from up to two employers for at least one year OR a certificate of qualification* in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial body
- Meet the job requirements as set out in the lead statement in the NOC (National Occupational Classification), apart from requiring a certificate of qualification
*Certificate of Qualification demonstrates that the applicant/foreign national is qualified to work in that skilled trade in Canada
Skilled Work Experience:
Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are listed under the following groups of the NOC:
- Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Major Group 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Major Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Minor Group 632 – chefs and cooks
- Minor Group 633 – butchers and bakers