The Quebec entrepreneur program is an immigration pathway for immigrant entrepreneurs with the ability to either establish a new business or acquire and operate an existing one. This program offers two streams for applicants to choose between when applying: Stream One or Stream Two.
Whether applying under stream one or two, applicants are required to submit a business project in the form of a business plan, after which they will be expected to attend a selection interview. This interview is the final step of the application process under the Quebec Entrepreneur program. Applicants who are successful will then carry out their business project.
As with all of the other Quebec immigration pathways, this Entrepreneur program also allows applicants to apply for and receive a certificate de selection du Quebec (CSQ – Quebec Selection Certificate) in order to be eligible to submit an application for permanent residence.
Stream one focuses on creating and operating a new business that is supported by a service offer from a business accelerator, incubator, or university entrepreneurship center. This business project can include up to 4 candidates (yourself included) or can be undertaken alone.
The service offer providing organization must present the services it intends to offer the applicant in order to accomplish his/her project, including:
- The proposed support plan (list and description of services they plan to offer)
- The operation plan (detailed budget for the services and the schedule for carrying out said services)
- Its expertise as a business accelerator, business incubator, or university entrepreneurship center (the skills and achievements related to the applicant’s project)
Applicants under Stream One will also need to acquire a minimum score of 41 points under the Quebec Economic Class selection grid.
Stream two focuses on the applicant creating a new business or acquiring an existing one, which has been in operation for the five years prior to the date of your application.
Applicant must also meet the following requirements:
- Make a start up deposit and a security deposit at a financial institution in Quebec with whom the applicant has signed a deposit agreement
- Start up deposit to set up your business must be $200,000CAD if you set it up outside the Montreal metropolitan area (CMM) and $300,000CAD if you set it up in the CMM
- Security deposit of $200,000CAD to serve as insurance that the applicant does in fact create the business. This amount will be refunded upon demonstrating that the business has been carried out
- Have a net worth of at least $900,000CAD legally obtained either alone or with your spouse/common-law partner
- Must present the business project in the form of a business plan
- If the applicant chooses to create a business, they must own and control at least 25% of its equity capital
- If the applicant chooses to acquire a business, they must own and control at least 51% of its equity capital
- The business cannot be involved in the following activities:
- Payday loans, cheque cashing, pawnbroking
- Real estate development or real estate or insurance brokerage
- Production, distribution, or sale of pornographic or sexually explicit products or services related to the sex industry
Candidates under Stream Two will need to acquire a minimum of 81 points under Quebec’s Economic Class selection grid to be considered for selection